Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Vegan and Frugal: 30 Day Challenge



Pan-fried Basmati rice and quinoa with cannellini beans, mushrooms and wilted arugula. This was a cheap (delicious!) meal. I can do this.


Is it possible to eat frugal while maintaining a healthy vegan diet?

For the next 30 days, I'm going to find out. With a grocery budget of $30 a week, I'm challenging my appetite and unleashing my creativity in the kitchen. I shouldn't say this, but I'm a bit skeptical. $30 bucks? Gluten free bread cost $5 dollars!  My favorite veggie patties are $7!  One Organic avocado is almost $2 bucks! Oh, goodness!

This is a  CHALLENGE.


Here's what I'm getting myself into:

- Meals must contain a source of calcium and protein. I'm also going to prove that a gluten free, soy free vegan can get these nutrients- on a budget!

- Seasonings and oils are not included in budget allowance. I need olive oil. Olive oil is expensive.

- Existing pantry items must be utilized. I see a lot of baking happening this week.


Since I only have $30 dollars for food, I won't be eating out.. Unless someone else is paying. 

Follow along- Instagram: frugal_jana
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment