Friday, October 26, 2012

New Discovery: Farinata


What is this stuff?


Since I'm attempting to cut back on  carbs, I've been on the lookout for alternatives to gluten free bread. While browsing through the clearance section of Fresh & Easy, I discovered this package for $1.99.  I had know idea what this Lucini stuff was but with 9 grams of protein- I had to check it out.

It's chickpea flour that bakes into a flaky, creamy texture.


The prep is really easy and just requires water and olive oil. I added in salt and garlic powder for a kick. Since I cook for one, I divide the package in half and cut down on the water.




It bakes at 500 degrees for around 15 mins and bakes into a golden flaky crust with a creamy consistency. The taste of the creaminess reminds me of what I remember eggs to taste like.






Once cooled, I cut the farinata into squares and use it as a layer for avocado, salsa, and potatoes. Makes a great weekend breakfast.






The Details:
 - Prepare Farinata according to package instructions. 


 - As mentioned, use less water and monitor cooking time if not using the entire package.
 
  - Cube 2 previously baked Yukon potatoes. (Or, pop in microwave using your baked potato setting. Just make sure they cool completely before attempting to cut.Add potatoes to pan of sauteed diced onions in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika

Slice half an alvacado and 1 branch of fresh basil leaves.
-  Top with 1 teaspoon of  salsa. I use Santa Barbara Salsa in Medium.  

ENJOY!



I must note that when I returned to Fresh & Easy, I was informed that the Lucini Chickpea Mix was discontinued! The NERVE! Since all you really need is chickpea flour to make farinata, I purchased this Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour instead (Btw, Chickpeas and Garbanzo are the same thing.)  I plan to use the cooking instructions from the Lucini.




Total estimated cost of meal: $1.00 per person.



No comments:

Post a Comment